We are pleased to announce the resumption of some club training sessions from Tuesday the 18th of August. The sessions are for senior club members only (18 years old and above).
Information on all sessions will be posted on Facebook or via email to full members. You can only attend if you sign up, please don’t turn up if you have not. Please keep note of the location, start time and instructions, as the the Covid-19 situation changes we may be able to utilise new locations as they become available.
All sessions will be held in locations which will enable safe social distancing.
Pre Covid-19 training.
Monday: Ladies speed endurance – 6-7.30pm
Tuesday: Mixed speed endurance – 6-7.30pm
Wednesday: Ladies tempo – 6-7.30pm
Thursday: Mixed tempo – 6-7.30pm
Friday: Social run for all – 6.30pm
Tuesday: Primary (8yrs upwards) – 4-5pm
Tuesday: Secondary (11yrs upwards) – 6pm (with senior session)
What’s in a session?
At Aberystwyth AC we have a totally inclusive approach, so whether you are a Junior, Senior or Veteran, Novice or Seasoned runner, we have something for you. Our training supports the tried and tested approach of three core runs each week;
A simple guide – remember that you have to train if you want to improve but, you are not a slave to your training. You are your own best teacher – listen to your body and if you’re tired or have some injury, ease up or rest.
- Efforts – warm up followed by short bursts of effort all aimed at developing technique and strength.
- Tempo – warm up followed by longer run at YOUR best pace to develop your cardio vascular system and lactate threshold.
- Long Slow Run – to build stamina and endurance.
Don’t forget – you can always run more sessions if you want but recovery is an important part of training.
A bit about the sessions
We have three coached training sessions each week;
- Monday Night is Ladies Night. The focus is efforts, so this is the night to work on your technique and strength. Novices and Seasoned runners are coached in groups depending on ability so there’s always someone for you to work with.
- Tuesday Night is Seniors Night and is also focused on effort work. These cater for Men, Ladies who want to do more effort work and some Juniors who are strong enough to train at the Senior level. Again, runners are coached in groups according to ability.
- Thursday night is Tempo night, this is the second of those three core runs. The tempo training sessions are not suitable for juniors. Following a warm and stretch, the sessions will typically focus on getting you to run a reasonably long distance (1-3 miles) at a defined speed e.g. 5k pace, 10k pace, marathon pace. Importantly though, this is your defined speed so if you run a marathon in 7 minute miles then that’s the pace you run at, if you run in 10 minute miles, then that’s your pace. Again the runners are coached in groups according to ability and everyone gets together for the warm down session.
Our coaches will work with you during training sessions to help you get the strength, speed and stamina you want so that you can do well in your races.
Are you a new runner?
Firstly you are very welcome, we are here to help you to improve and most of all get the most out of your running, competitive or non competitive. For people new to running we will work with you in the early sessions to look at your capability and suggest the training that is best for you. All we ask at the beginning is that you are able to run for at least 15 minutes.
It is a good idea to have a goal, our coaches will encourage you to set a realistic goal for your training. We have two induction programmes;
- Couch to 5k – a 12 week programme that will prepare you for a 5k race, time trial or parkrun. Find out more here
Friday night social runs?
Most runners will do these at the weekend – but our Friday night social runs can fit the bill. The club is of a size that there are always groups running at the weekend, please keep an eye on Facebook for these. Alternatively, if you’re on one of our Novice programmes, our coaches will include a suitable run in your training programme – these will increase with distance as you get closer to your target race – but your ability to achieve the distances will also be increasing.